We’ve had a chilly week this week, and on these cold weeks I always enjoy a nice bowl of soup for lunch. This is a really good and easy one! Using the shredded potato blend makes it so easy to put together. The sour cream adds richness without adding a ton of fat. Feel free to omit it if you want to make it vegan. It’s based on a Peruvian potato chowder recipe, and I just love the flavor profile.
I hope you try this during these cold months!
- 1 T olive oil
- I T Penzey’s Salsa and Pico seasoning (or Fajita seasoning)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1.5 C corn kernels (or one can, drained)
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- One bag BirdsEye Shredded Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets (or 2 sweet potatoes, diced)
- ¾ C quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 5 C veggie broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 C sour cream
- 1/3 C fresh mint, julienned, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapenos, seasoning, and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sweet potatoes, corn, and broth. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce to medum heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Sprinkle with salsa and mint before serving.