School is about to start here, but summer temperatures are in full swing! I know my daughter is excited about starting school – I am so glad that going to school isn’t a struggle for us. This is a great refreshing salad to help you beat the heat. Plus it’s really healthy! Go ahead and make up a batch for next week, so you will have one less thing to worry about in the mornings.
This chopped salad makes a delicious and filling lunch – the cabbage holds up well to the dressing, so you can go ahead and dress it in the morning if you want instead of bringing a separate container. It’s a great way to get some raw veggies into your diet!
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots (from the bag)
- ½ small head of red cabbage, chopped (about 2 cups shredded cabbage)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup thai basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cooked rice or quinoa
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce (or one clove garlic)
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini (other nut butters can work in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To garnish:
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- In a large bowl, add red bell pepper, carrot, cabbage, basil onion and jalapeño. Pour dressing over veggies and toss until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients, using a whisk to combine.
- Pour over salad and mix well to combine. Garnish with roasted cashews and cilantro. Serves 4.