I hope all of you had a wonderful New Year’s! We enjoyed our – our daughter had a friend over and we had a feast! We enjoyed crab claws and scallops sautéed in butter and garlic, with some twice baked potatoes and asparagus. Later that night we indulged in some chocolate fondue.
We love having fondue – you can find my go-to recipe here. It’s a fun way to spend time together as a family!
I always like to start off the New Year with something healthy – after all of the rich Holiday food, my body is ready for something healthy. However, between New Year’s and football, I also wanted it to be something that would come together easily. This recipe met both of those goals, and was so delicious too.
I used to hate cooking anything with butternut squash in it simply because I hated fighting with that squash to get it peeled. However, I discovered this shortcut and I haven’t had any problems since then!
Simply poke several holes in your butternut squash. I use the piercer from my knife set, but a fork will work as well. Cut off the very top and bottom of your squash, then set it on a plate and microwave it for about 2-3 minutes.
Let it cool well, then rejoice as your vegetable peeler easily removes the skin of your butternut squash! Then go ahead and use it however you need to for your recipe.
I love the tanginess of the goat cheese against the sweetness of the roasted vegetables in this recipe. The blueberry brings it all together well! I was looking at the cheese for inspiration, and this one just called out to me! Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture of the finished dish – this will have to do for now – yummy veggies ready for roasting!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth for cooking quinoa
- 1 butternut squash, seeds and peel removed – cut into one inch pieces
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into one inch pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic (I used blueberry)
- 8 ounces goat cheese (I used a blueberry goat cheese I found at Publix), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Cook quinoa
- Put squash, carrots, onion, and garlic in large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic and stir to coat.
- Spread out on baking sheet. Cook about 30 minutes, until squash is tender and browning on the edges.
- Remove from oven and toss with quinoa.
- Add goat cheese and enjoy! This is great for lunches because you can eat it warm or room temp.