I love this time of year when eggplant is so inexpensive! I’m a huge fan – I think I could eat it every day! My favorite way to have it is in eggplant parmesan, but of course that isn’t the healthiest….this grilled eggplant gratin captures the flavors I love without quite as much fat! Plus, since you’re grilling the eggplant you don’t heat up the house as much!
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1- inch rounds (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 20 basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- Two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces smoked scamorza or mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (1 cup)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Crusty bread or pasta, for serving
- After eggplant is cut into 1 inch rounds, salt generously and let sit for about thirty minutes.
- Rinse, toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat for about three minutes per side. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons EVOO in a heavy sauce pan.
- Add onions and cook over low heat until softened, about eight minutes.
- Add garlic, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and 5 basil leaves. Cook about one minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is nice and thick – about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spread about one cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan.
- Top with half of the eggplant and the remaining basil leaves.
- Spread about 2 cups of the sauce on top of the eggplant and sprinkle with half of each cheese.
- Place the remaining eggplant in the pan, then top with the sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake for about thirty minutes, until warm throughout and cheese is nice and melty!
- Serve with bread or over pasta.