I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know our family has so much to be thankful for this year – we are truly blessed! This year we spent the Holidays with my In-Laws. Brian wasn’t sure how much time off he’d get, so we wanted to stick close to home. They have prime rib for Thanksgiving, and they were kind enough to fix me a veggie lasagna. It was delicious, but by the time Saturday rolled around I was craving some “traditional” holiday food. This quinoa dish fits the bill, with great holiday flavors that aren’t too heavy – go ahead and have seconds!
Quinoa Stuffing with Cranberries
· 1 cup quinoa
· 2 C low-sodium vegetable broth
· 1 T EVOO
· 1 onion, thinly sliced
· 3 celery stalks, chopped
· 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
· 1/2 tsp dried rubbed sage
· 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 3/4 C cranberries, coarsely chopped (I used frozen)
· 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1. Add olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery,garlic, and sage until softened, about ten minutes.
2. Add the quinoa, broth, pepper, and salt and bring to a boil.
3. Continue cooking over medium heat until the quinoa is cooked and broth is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Stir in cranberries and cook until they are warmed. They may break down into the mixture – this is fine!
Top with toasted pecans, and a little feta if you’d like!