Halloween is just around the corner – these tips will help you stay green while you celebrate!
Costumes. Of course one of the easiest ways to stay green is by not buying a costume off the rack! There are a lot of great options here.
- Buy used. Use Craigslist, the thrift stores, or garage sales to find the perfect costume for you or your little one at a reduced price. Or, host a costume swap party and get all of your friends together for fun and a swapping of costumes.
- Use what you have. Be creative! Use things around your house to fashion a costume. Let your imagination run wild!
- Buy handmade. This year we’re buying a new costume, but it’s handmade. It’s a tutu that she wanted for dress-up anyway, so it serves double duty! We’ll add wings and a wand for a great fairy look!
- Rent. A lot of places will let you rent costumes, and these are usually a lot better quality than the ones on the costume rack!
Candy. No one wants to be a Grinch, but do children really need all of that sugar? Plus what to do with what your child brings home?
- Give out healthy options. Honey sticks, fair-trade chocolate, and stickers are all great options. My cousin is going to give out play-doh. I know my daughter would choose a pretty rock over another candy bar these days!
- If your children are older, encourage them to collect money for UNICEF rather than get candy.
- Donate the candy you collect to a shelter, or other group.
Having a party?
- Use Fall’s natural beauty to decorate. Think fall leaves, hay bales, and other items.
- Borrow decorations from your friends. I know we have a ton of decorations that we don’t use every year since my husband is out of town so much.
- Skip disposable dishware. Use the real ones – your friends will feel special!
- Get your pumpkins locally, and be sure to bake a pie with the insides and compost the rest! How about some fresh roasted pumpkin seeds?
How are you going green this Halloween?