These tasty patties work as a sandwich filling or as a side dish. Use the food processor to shred the carrot and the onion and this comes together very quickly!
· 5 medium carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
· 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
· 3 tablespoons flour
· 2 tablespoons cornmeal
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· 2 tablespoons milk (or half and half, or sour cream)
· 1 teaspoon garam masala
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
· 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. In a medium bowl, mix the carrots, onion, flour, corneal, egg, milk, garam masala, salt, baking powder and pepper. Shape the mixture into 8 patties about 1 1/2″ thick. Transfer to a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This will keep up to 12 hours.
2. Heat the margarine and the oil in a heavy 10″ skillet until sizzling, about 1 minute. Turn heat down to medium . Brown the patties for 5-8 minutes on each side. Drain on a platter lined with paper towels, then serve immediately.